Skip to main content
In the Company of Entrepreneurs
Formed to enhance the relationship between Lawrence Technological University and its students, alumni, faculty, and the community at large, Lawrence Tech's Alumni Association is committed to furthering the University's vision of being "a preeminent private university producing leaders with an entrepreneurial spirit and global view." In service to that vision, the Alumni Association formed The LEGENDS, an organization that recognizes the outstanding achievements of Lawrence Tech alumni who have created business ventures and, in many instances, innovative products and services.
The intent is to encourage, promote, and support a global view, entrepreneurial mindset, and leadership among Lawrence Tech's students and alumni. The entrepreneurial members of The LEGENDS have generated jobs and contributed to the economic growth of their communities. Their successes inspire and their experience and skills are an invaluable resource for Lawrence Tech students.
As Russell Lawrence, Lawrence Tech founder and president, said, "You've got to do more for students than merely fill their heads with facts and figures. Handing them diplomas and shunting them out into the world is not enough. . . . You must show them some way to put their practical knowledge to use soon after they assimilate it."
Learning from the Pros
Members of The LEGENDS help students and alumni understand entrepreneurship in a number of ways. Members serve as:
• Mentors to students who have an interest in entrepreneurship
• Possible employers of students for co-ops, internships, and full- and part-time jobs
• Speakers at University events and in the Entrepreneurial Lecture Series, a Lear Entrepreneurial Center program that annually brings six entrepreneurs to campus to instruct and interact with engineering students
• Members of the University’s Entrepreneurial Advisory Boards
• Advisors to the student Collegiate Entrepreneurs’ Organization (CEO)
• Supporters and advisors to students working on their senior projects
The LEGENDS also creates a network in which ideas can “incubate” and opportunities flourish. It is a goal that The LEGENDS:
• Identify research and development possibilities for product ideas and innovation
• Create opportunities for members of The LEGENDS to collaborate professionally
• Provide business ownership opportunities for other alumni as The LEGENDS retire and exit their businesses
- Lawrence Technological University
21000 West Ten Mile Road • Southfield, MI 48075-1058 • © 2010